Monday, June 6, 2011

Has the green movement had it's day?

I once was glad to consider myself among the crowd that cared for the planet. With influences for social justice and the environment from Peter Garrett and his music. Songs like blue sky mining really went down deep in my heart.
It hurt a lot after years of respecting this guy to learn that once a politician you put on the same colours as your party. The party first above all else. It even makes me wonder if it wasn't about the money and niche markets all along.
I read this morning even after million dollar add campaigns and rallies yesterday that still only a third of people are in favour of the tax. I am so proud of the people. Often accused of being sheep, it seems most can see through the hog wash and spin being thrown at them for the last 6 months.
It isn't over yet by any means. But it can go one of two ways. Either the people hold out and the Prime minister backs down or the tax is done regardless .
If the tax is established and I suspect it will and people see it for what it is and how it has cost them without doing what it is claimed to do I'd suspect that there will be a backlash on green groups and politicians.
While I have no sympathy for politicians of any colour I think it is a shame that donations to worthwhile causes for the environment and wildlife could reduce either due to households being cash strapped from the emmissions tax or just hatred at the greens for visiting this tax upon them.
The one statement I see all the time from supporters in the green movement is " any action on climate change would be a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned"
So they are admitting that they aren't confident that it will work to the level required but as long as they think they are winning it will do.
Thats my thoughts for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment